Countries: Bosnia and Herzegovina

June 16th, 2014 by Robin 6E
9

Bosnia and Herzegovina is one of the seven former states of Yugoslavia. It takes up 19,741 square meters and has a population of about  3,871,643, which is less than half the population of London. Don’t forget that this number is ever-changing. It’s capital city is Sarajevo, which has a small population of 369,534 people, which is just less than the population of Bristol.

The flag of Bosnia and Herzegovina has a blue background and white stars, which symbolise that the country is in the EU. (European Union) The yellow triangle, which is a right-angled triangle, stands for equality between the three main religions that are within Bosnia. It’s capital city,  Sarajevo has many tourist attractions, like: Latin Bridge, Emperor’s Mosque and the Cathedral of Jesus’ Heart. In fact, in the travel guide Lonely Planet, Sarajevo was voted 43rd best city in  the WORLD!  Also, in 2009, it was listed as one of the top ten cities to visit.

Bosnia and Herzegovina is almost landlocked. There is a small, 12-mile stretch of land that is open to the Adriatic sea.  One interesting thing about this is: the fact that it ‘Interrupts’ Croatia. Just look at this map here:

Did you see it? If not look again! This is quite interesting as it must have been formed when the country gained  Independence in 1992. What is even MORE fascinating is that one of Croatia’s most popular Towns, Dubrovnik is on that stretch of land.

The country has a strong military and air force, which contains up to 45 aircraft. It has a VERY small navy, consisting of two patrol boats that often visit Croatian ports. Bosnia and Herzegovina has a good football team, who qualified for the 2014 World Cup. Football is the most popular sport in the country, as it has been played there since 1903. Also, Bosnia and Herzegovina has a chess team, making it one of the very few countries to do so.

Posted in Uncategorized

9 Responses to “Countries: Bosnia and Herzegovina”

1. Robin 6E says:

I better explain this more.

Bosnia and Herzegovina is a country, just like Great Britain. It used to be part of a country called Yugoslavia, but Yugoslavia broke up in 1990. Does that help?

2. Robin 6E says:

It seems nobody understands this post. Oh well… 🙁

3. Liam E says:

Huh? What are you talking about…I can see why Rosie didn’t get it. 😉

4. Robin 6E says:

Fantastic to see we have had visitors from Norway and Germany! We are internationally recognised! I’m still waiting for a visitor from Bosnia and Herzegovina…

• Robin 6E says:

YES YES YES! We have finally had a visitor from Bosnia and Herzegovina! This is the best day of my life! You don’t know how long I have been waiting for this! 😀

5. Rosie 6E says:

I did not get a word of that, Robin. Mainly because the title doesn’t give much away. Secondly, I haven’t read all of it…yet! 😀 😛

• Robin 6E says:

You have to read it carefully! If you don’t understand anything, just ask me. 😀

• Rosie 6E says:

I will have to ask you Robin! I can’t even say the words or countries name things or what ever you call them anyway! Help me-I’m so stuck. 😛

• LucyP 6E says:

Me too! Rosie and I know nearly nothing about football. 😀 To be honest, I doubt me and Rosie do anyway.