Loom bands – what’s so good about them?

June 25th, 2014 by Mr Edwards
31

From CBBC Newsround:

Loom bands – they’re the tiny colourful rubber bands that have become a massive craze around the world.

Boys and girls are spending hours weaving them into everything from bracelets to skipping ropes.

But some schools have started banning loom bands for various reasons, including playground fights, mess and them even being used as weapons.

The Duchess of Cambridge and Harry Styles are among the famous people spotted wearing loom band bracelets.

Catch Newsround on Thursday morning from 7.40am where Ricky will have a special report into the loom band phenomenon.

Get involved: Send us pics of your loom band creations

What do you think about loom bands?

We want to hear what you think about loom bands. Why are they so popular? What do you like to do with your loom bands?

Have loom bands been banned at your school?

Or perhaps you’re not a fan and just don’t get it?

Posted in Uncategorized

31 Responses to “Loom bands – what’s so good about them?”

1. Elena 6E says:

Loom bands are fun to make in golden time and when your bored ,but when im out i don`t usually make them with my friends.

2. Rhys 6E says:

Loom bands are a fun thing to do when are bored.

3. Rosie 6E says:

I have made a loom band, but not out of little rubber bands… out of coloured thread. It took me ages to make, seeing as I had to make all the small pieces of thread onto good sized circles! Then, I made the loom band on my fingers out of thread. Btw, it looks totally awesome. 😉 Make them too, as well as the rubber bands ones, because honestly the thread ones probably look better! 😀

4. James 6PB says:

Are we allowed to wear them on the Isle of Wight trip?

• Robin 6E says:

I think we are! I know that we are allowed to make them…

• Rosie 6E says:

Yes we are, seeing as we don’t have to wear uniform! YAY I AM SO EXCITED, I AM ALREADY PACKED!

• Robin 6E says:

Have you got the three most important things?

1. Loom Bands
        2. Packed Lunch for day 1
        3. Bedding

And clothes! Don’t forget clothes! Clothes are more important than Loom Bands. I hope everybody packs clothes…

• Rosie 6E says:

Yes, of course I have! Most of the clothes I have packed are pink, seeing as basically my entire wardrobe is full of pink clothes!

• Rosie 6E says:

But… I am not taking all of them, I am just taking three or four pink tops, so I don’t get all my pink stuffed wet or dirty! 😉 Plus, the colour pink is so last season. This season is yellow and blue, and maybe some orange. Because of that, I packed the “in the season” stuff, so I don’t look ridiculous!

• Rosie 6E says:

No no no, Robin! Loom bands shouldn’t be one of the most important things. It should be…

1. Make up & hair accessories
          2. Bedding
          3. Packed lunch for a day

You see, Robin, make up and hair accessories always come first, no matter what. Try and remember that…please! 😉 😀

• Robin 6E says:

I have certainly packed loads of makeup. Yep… 😉

• LucyP 6E says:

Yes I totally agree Rosie

• Rosie 6E says:

Oh yes Robin, I can imagine you with millions of make up, all stocked up in your cupboard ready to wear to School every morning! I think I have than you… but only a small amount more! Yep, totally! 😉

• Cameron 6E says:

Robin i cant imagine you wearing makeup you would look so funny.

5. Isabella says:

I managed to make one so long its can go from my room, down steers and into the liven groom.

6. Niamh E says:

In Farmors, my School, you are not allowed to wear loom bands, unless the colours are just dark blue and yellow because those colours match our uniform colours. Because of this, I got my sister to make her self a blue and yellow one, so she could wear it at her new School in Year 7! 🙂

7. Liam E says:

I love making loom bands and so do all my friends! I wish we were aloud to wear them in School because everyone is wearing them. 🙂 I am doing a competition with my sister, Rosie, to see who can make the most loom bands in a week, and so far I am winning! 😉

8. Rosie 6E says:

B)

9. Rosie 6E says:

I just got some loom bands last week and I have already made 8! I have made one for all of my best friends Lucy P, Abigail, Tamzin and Sophia! I hope they like them because it took me ages! 😉

• LucyP 6E says:

Thank you Rosie! 🙂

• Rosie 6E says:

You are welcome, bff! I will bring it in tomorrow, but I will have to give it to you later because in the morning I am at a athletics competition. 🙂

10. Rosie 6E says:

I think loom bands are cool accessories, seeing as you can make them yourself, wear them in any colours and have them in different styles! Are we banning loom bands from our School Mr Edwards?

• LucyP 6E says:

I think they have been banned Rosie 🙁

• Mr Edwards says:

As far as I know, it is OK to make and wear them at break times but not during lesson times!

• Rosie 6E says:

Oh ok! That is awesome for me because I never ever wear them even to School, let alone wearing them during lessons! 😉

• Rosie 6E says:

So basically they are banned, but only banned if you wear them during lessons and inside of School. Some of the teachers told people not to wear them, but then the teachers wore them, is that fair? 😉

• Mollie 6PB says:

Yes, because they get to wear what they like to school because it is there job! 🙂

• Rosie 6E says:

Yeah I know, but… it is kind of being a hipicrtite saying to people that they can not wear them, and then you go ahead and wear them! 😛